Sunday, June 21, 2009

Invitations Part 2

I must say though, mail merges drive me nuts. I like to make things perfect, so it's hard when things don't match up. The new Word version doesn't help either. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why my "Next Record" formula wasn't working.

Now I'm working on the address labels and I'm hoping this works. One good thing to think about is have a family member or friend that's real good at Word help you out. It also does help to have a great Excel spreadsheet. It's so much easier to have just one Excel sheet with everything on it so that you're not all over the place. Have a spreadsheet with columns for each guest, their address etc. But always use headers that can be used for the mail merge.

We had columns for the kids names as well because our invitations are going to be more personal. We have each guests name on the response cards so everyone can write down their meal choice. This also helps to deter anyone who would like to bring extra guests. Having specific names on the response cards sends a small message that, "oh, only me and my husband are invited" I'm not saying it's fool proof, but it does help a bit. Those that are more courteous may just call and ask if someone else can take the place of someone written on the response cards. Of course, in my family, not everyone is that courteous. hehe. But we're trying to find a good solution to this "extra guests" issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment